Pair your Apple Pencil (1st generation) with your iPad
Remove the cap and plug it into the Lightning connector on your iPad.
When you see the Pair button, tap it.
After you pair your Apple Pencil, it will stay paired until you restart your iPad, turn on Airplane Mode, or pair with another iPad. Just pair your Apple Pencil again when you're ready to use it.
Charge your Apple Pencil (1st generation)
To charge your Apple Pencil (1st generation), plug your Apple Pencil into the Lightning connector on your iPad. You can also charge it with a USB Power Adapter by using the Apple Pencil Charging Adapter that came with your Apple Pencil. Apple Pencil will fast charge when plugged into either power source.
To see how much charge your Apple Pencil has left, check the Widgets view on your iPad.
If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad
- Restart your iPad, then try to pair again.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- On the same screen, look under My Devices for your Apple Pencil. If you see it, tap . Then tap Forget this Device.
- Connect your Apple Pencil in to your iPad and tap the Pair button when it appears after a few seconds.
- If you don't see the Pair button, wait for one minute while your Apple Pencil charges. Then try connecting your Apple Pencil again and wait until you see the Pair button.